Re: [OM] How much is too much?

Subject: Re: [OM] How much is too much?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 19:55:58 -0700
You use far too few pieces of equipment to take far too many pictures!  :-)

Too bad Oly didn't make versions of that lens for the OMs. There are pretty good alternatives.

The Tokina 35-200/3.5-4.5 is a great lens, a little faster, a bit more reach and macro to 1:4 in a well built package. The Tamron SP equivalent is significantly heavier and clunkier, but a good lens.

The Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6 (aspherical LD IF), is quite an impressive lens too. The earlier Model #71 didn't focus close enough for my taste, seemed overly prone to flare and just didn't seem to deliver whatever combo of resolution, contrast and ?? makes for a good image, at least in come circumstances. The #171 is a significant improvement in all those areas, making images I like. The IF is convienient for polarizers and allows a bayonet mount tulip style hood, which may be part of the reason I found less flare, and looks cool too. Downsides are vignetting wide open at wide angle and pincushion at the long end. I want to figure out how to adjust for the former in Photoshop and the later is seldom a problem for me with my favored subjects. In fact, I never noticed it until I took some shots of reflections in a mirrored building. Focuses the 'wrong' (Nik*n) direction and is rather plasticky, but rather light. Compact at 28mm, but rather imposing when aroused, er, uh, extended to 200mm.

Moose

AG Schnozz wrote:

You're asking us how much is too much?

Well, let's see.  I've got two bodies, a 24, 35, 50, 100, 135 and 200.  Oh, and
a IS-3.  I've got too much stuff, but a super-tele would be nice...
Gotta love that 35-180 zoom.  Wish I had something equivelent for the OM.