Re: [OM] OT Virus warning / enquiry

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Virus warning / enquiry
From: Dizel <webmaster@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 16:12:25 +0200
John Hudson wrote:

I hope also that all reading this stupoid information WILL NOT
forward this cretinisme to anyone else..

At times you have to take the ugly along with the good and be grateful that
people are thinking about your welfare. Next time be more grateful for
intended thoughtfulness.

As i am a webmaster in my company, I usually receive four to ten BUGBEAR
hoax letters every week. I wonder why you didn't just verified credibility
of this message before sending? Why didn't you just typed 'bugbear' phrase
into any web search engine for example BEFORE passing this along?
I never expected such a careless 'forwarding' from someone as intelligent,
who indeed have a vast knowledge of OM system and not only, judging from
Zuiko list archive..

As for 'gratefulness' - please notice following:

- All widely spreading email-based viruses/worms require you to OPEN
  attachment of infected message in Microsoft Outlook. No OE - no harm.
  Disabling 'automatically open attachment' in OE6 and you are safe.
  Not a strict rule (there are rare exceptions), but works well.
  Great number of Zuiko subscribers don't use OE.

- Zuiko server is, as far as i remember from archive, secure, as
  list server has installed and constantly updated, AV software

- Nobody can infect his computer via Zuiko list in digest form

- Those hoaxes spread usually WIDER than  REAL WORMS, so messages
  like your post do nothing good but eat storage space on mail
  servers, create big burst of Internet traffic and cause
  people to be frightened and afraid of Internet.

- This is a Zuiko list, not a virus related list.

and so on.

John!
So what you will say if I would write to Zuiko list a post
stating that everyone should PRY OFF mirrors from their
Olympuses, because this morning I got a mail message that mirror
will cause fungus in all your lenses, put oil on blades of
your Zuiko lenses, crash your prism and make little holes
in shutter curtains? What would you say then?
And this would be _on_topic_, unlike virus hoax..

As you wrote, "next time be more grateful"... ;)

                                St.
             (XS360 Diesel - Sampo Lappelil, ZliMC)
                  http://www.familyofman2.com
 GH !d a- C--- E--- W+++ N++ o++++ PS+++ !tv b+++ D++ e* h* r++ z**