Re: 200/5, was Re: [OM] Bokeh

Subject: Re: 200/5, was Re: [OM] Bokeh
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 19:51:10 -0300
on 6/05/2003 16:39, ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx at ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Given the slow aperture, I wouldn't be surprised if the 200/5 was very
>> sharp.  An optical designer can make a better lens if he/she doesn't
>> have to deal with the aberrations inherent in a faster design.
>
> I've always described it to others as 'drawing blood.' It is, indeeed,
> quite sharp.

For those using MacOS 9 or older, you would find the CloseView Control Panel
set at 2X useful. Don't know which one on MacOS X.

When I had to decide wheather to buy the F4 or the F5, I preferred the F4
because it should focus easier. I would still choose it although the 2X
Zuiko Teleconverter was not recommended for this one, and its bokeh may be
not as good as the F5. This is a drawback when adding a 25mm extension tube,
but I managed some good close focus shots anyway, in spite of a really
shallow depht of field. In fact I made good use of an unidentifiable
background.

Fernando.