Re: [OM] Interchanging spare parts

Subject: Re: [OM] Interchanging spare parts
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 18:30:54 -0700
I did a little looking into this a while ago. Like telescope mirrors, the prisms are coated with aluminum in high vacuum. There are shops that do this stuff for amateur telescope mirrors. With a batch of prisms, one might be able to get them all done at once at a reasonable price apiece. Glass to be coated this way needs to be specially cleaned and one would have to mask the 'in' and 'out' surfaces. I never went beyond seeing what was possible to checking actual costs, etc. I could certainly contribute some prisms if someone arranged a group 'silvering'.

Moose

Jeff Keller wrote:

Poke around on amateur telescope sites. Many years ago I made my own
telescope mirror. You could probably perform an adequate DIY fix to the
prisms.
-jeff

Ok, so what to do with several dead OM-10 bodies with (now) mottly prisms ?
Are donor bodies the only source of prisms or are they still available from Oly
?

Haven't been available new for many years.