[OM] ( OM ) lenses and OT stuff

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) lenses and OT stuff
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:14:59 +1200
Hi folks,

For once in a while I actually got away for a little trip.

There was a forestry conference in Queenstown (NZ) at the start of the
month and I have been rushing to finish a book to launch there. Which I
eventually did - 170 pages. Spectacular autumn there this year, and although
I took a couple of OM bodies and a small case of lenses, in fact most of the
time I used the Zuiko 35-105 when it was a matter of "stop the car and grab
a shot". That range of focal length makes it possible to frame quite a wide
range of shots and cut out extraneous matter.  I did actually stuff one of my
wide-angle zooms in my pocket a couple of times but never used it at all.

And I caught up on many many old friends, as well as staying with a nephew
I had not seen for about 15 years, and delivering a 1500-person family
genealogy I have been working on to other relatives (some I had not met
before).

Visited son Eric at Uni on the way home - he had the leading role in the
Ballet his College was preparing for graduation (last weekend). This is their
75th anniversary as the oldest ballet group in New Zealand - all-male
students who get coached every year for this performance. It's all a lot of fun
and none of them have ever gone on to do ballet professionally. Needless to
say the *real* NZ ballet company has it's nose perennially out-of-joint that
this group of students can rightly claim to be the oldest ballet group in the
country. They got good exposure on TV, and a front-page spread in the local
newspaper.

I'll photograph the newspaper shot and upload it some time. it is a great shot.

My nephew just spent a ski holiday at Whistler in Canada. He showed me
the camera he bought for the trip. A C*n*n ( I think EOS 500 D) but it is not
digital. He had their 28 - 200 auto-zoom with tulip-petal shade. Actually
VERY light in comparison to my OM4Ti + winder2 + Zuiko 35-105.
Amazingly, there is NO facility to set the aperture. The current aperture is
shown in the digital read-out screen, but that's it.  Photo prints (4x6) were
very good. Apparently he was nearly stopped from skiing there due to
zooming the slopes too fast. Very challenging slopes, in my opinion.

Finally, I will probably be having a cup of coffee and a chat with Bernd Moller
later this week (16th) as he passes though Christchurch city while on tour at
the end of a working contract here. I look forward to that.

Brian