Re: [OM] Film Care?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Care?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:11:53 -0600
At 10:53 AM 5/12/2003 -1000, Dan wrote:
Now as summer gets closer, can anyone give some advice on film care and
temperatures?
I was thinking of storing my camera in an "Igloo" lunch box, of course
without ice in it!
How long dose film last at the highest quality passed the expiration
date?
I would think they put in a buffer window of time regarding the final
date?

Dan:

It's not an all-or-nothing thing -- expiry takes place rather gradually (which you can speed up significantly by storing film at higher-than-room temperatures, of course...). I used Provia 100 that was a year past its expiry date on my vacation to New Mexico last November, and it was just fine -- but it had been stored in the refrigerator since I purchased it (and I got a good price because I bought a brick near its expiry date).

The first thing that goes is colour balance, which gradually shifts to an overemphasis on some colours and an underemphasis on others, dependent on the individual film's chemistry. Then other deterioration sets in. Storing in a hot car is a definite no-no, even for a few hours, as the gelatin emulsion can melt and slide. Mind you, you can get some of the wildest experimental images that way... 8^>

I'd suggest you go to the manufacturer's Web site and look up the specifics of storage etc. for the film you're using. They're the experts, and the ones who actually made the film, after all.

Garth