RE: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: RE: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:47:00 +0100
Hey !  Don't judge us all by the type of person on a security check-point !!

It is a sad fact of the state of this country, that often (not always - I
know it's a generalisation !) the people employed as "security" for anything
are there for the ego boost or power-trip.  They certainly aren't there for
the money, as "security"-type jobs I believe aren't all that well paid.
Hence they often don't attract the type of people to the jobs that we would
like to be looking after the security of this country.  Sometimes I wonder
if they are just night-club bouncers in a different uniform !!

Anyway, I for one am sorry that the first and last people you talk to on
arriving or leaving this country leave such a bad memory.  Consider that
this guy was probably very bored, and giving you a hard time made him feel
powerful in his rather insignificant life !  It's sad, I know, but he's
probably not got any OM's at home to love .... !!  ;-)

So - please come back.  It's actually quite nice here once you get in !!
And next time, to avoid the problems associated with the half-wits you
encountered on the X-Ray machine, I'm sure there would be several "local"
OM'ers who would take your film, get it processed, and post the resultant
prints / negs / slides on to you.  If nothing else, it's an excuse to meet
up with OM'ers !  And if this is not the case, don't throw away those ruined
prints.  Bring the whole lot along in hand-luggage to demonstrate to the
monkey on the machine what happened last time - if he can lift his knuckles
off the ground for long enough to look at them !!

Above all, don't judge us all, or avoid us, based on your lasting memory of
one a**hole !!

Jon