Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:36:05 +0200
On Tue, 13 May 2003 12:11:11 +0100
Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas - shame you had a bad experience.  I'm not too surprised
> about the security guards.  I fly a lot from Stansted, and usually
> find the people there friendly enough, but these days with
> increased security measures they can be a bit brusque when they've
> got huge queues of people to get through.

Queues were OK at Gatwick. I usually go Heathrow, but for some reason
that didn't pan out this time....

> I am quite surprised about the film getting harmed.  As I've said
> before my own experience with fast film that got scanned about 10
> times over about a year and half was that it was not affected.
> Maybe some films are more susceptible to fogging than others - mine
> was Fuji HG 1600.  I almost always use Fuji Sensia 100 and have
> never had a problem with fogging.

Yeah...it seems random, but I suspect that all "identically tuned"
machines are not so identical after all. Anyways, I've had the
experience a few times, so now I am just extra careful.

> To avoid problems with airport scanners, overland travel is always
> good if you have the time - if not Eurostar then the slightly
> slower ferry across the channel is always nice.  I found trains and
> ferries a most enjoyable way to travel between China and London
> last year.  Took 17 days instead of 10 hours on a plane, but cost
> about the same!

Well, time was/is an issue: getting from Paris to the ferry, for
instance, without a car just adds hazzle. Still, the trip from China
to London sounds splendid, if one has the time to spare for it.

<SNIP>

> Good luck with complaining to the BAA.  I would think they'll at
> least be amenable to refunding you the cost of the unprocessed
> film.  Let us know how it goes.

I will. I do not have my hopes up, though....

--thomas

> Roger
>
> Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > Just a warning for those of you flying in and out of the
> > UK.....don't:) !
> > <film disaster snipped out>

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)