Re: [OM] Annular eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] Annular eclipse
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:02:16 +0100
Just to hopefully clarify but possibly confuse things - a lunar eclipse can only be seen at night, as the moon is in the earth's shadow ie opposite the sun. The eclipse will be happening at 3.30pm your time in NZ but unfortunately you won't be able to see it then, as it will be below the horizon. As the sun sets that evening the moon will be rising, and will be partially eclipsed and moving out of the earth's shadow.

Here in the UK we'll also only see part of the event, in the wee small hours of the morning. People who can see the whole thing are those in eastern North America and all of South America.

This image shows where in the world the eclipse will be visible:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2003May16T.gif

And this page has almost everything you could ever want to know about eclipses:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/

A subsection of the page is devoted to photography:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEhelp/eclipsePhoto.html

I've never tried photographing a lunar eclipse but I've seen a few. Well worth looking out for even if you don't feel like photographing them.

Roger

Simon Gotlieb wrote:

Just out of interest, four our New Zealand members. There's a lunar eclipse
here in New Zealand on Friday, around 3.30pm.

And the forecast is for clear sky over most of the country.

Not too sure what sort of pics you could get, but unfortunately for me, I'll
be stuck at work (Can't complain about having a job though, after six months
last year without one).