Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:47:31 +0200
On Wed, 14 May 2003 00:51:09 +0100
Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thomas, you should print some frames of that fogged film and carry
> the prints with you next time you go to the UK.
>
> Then when the person says their machine does not fog film show him
> the prints and describe how each one contained irreplaceable
> memories of a family holiday and how you were so pleased to have
> them deleted by their machine.
>
> Of course they still won't care and will still zap the film.

Good plan. My experience with airport security staff goes that if you
ask politely, you get a rude answer. If you know your rights and
insist on them, you are threathened to be escorted off the airport -
alternatively, you'll be taken through the most intimidating
"security search" imagineable.

I am sure that if I start wanting to show photographs to the guy next
time, I'll soon be accompanied by two police officers who, at
gunpoint, will ask me to follow them off the airport area (almost
happened to me....how many of you knew that a GPS receiver was a
"terrorist tool" and that police is alarmed if they notice that you
carry one on board?)

--thomas

> Giles
>

> >Next time, we should gang up on the security guy and force-feed
> >him through the x-ray...on second thought, no, that may not be the
> >way to go.
> >
> >Why is it that the BAA is so amazingly paranoid and unflexible? In
> >all other countries where I have been, getting a hand-check
> >required a polite request, films in a transparant plastic bag, a
> >reasonable amount of time and that I tried to time my appearance
> >such that the queues were reasonable. All of which is manageable.
> >Having a reasonable amount of film helps too (i.e. not carrying
> >500 rolls..)
> >
> >Sure, occationally I run into a "rotten apple" among the security
> >staff in other airports, but the BAA staff seems to have a policy
> >of not doing any hand-checks. Apparently, they have a policy of
> >being rude to their customers too.
> >
> >Btw., I should make an experiment of figuring out how many rolls
> >of film I can carry in my pocket without setting off the metal
> >detector. 1-2 usually works fine, I've never tried more.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx