Re: [OM] Pentaprism Cancer *

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentaprism Cancer *
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:49:16 -0700
Well, I don't buff, but use alcohol to throughly clean all the area damaged by the foam. It won't go through the protective black paint where it is undamaged. Whatever the combination of angle of reflection, index of refraction of the glass and the dark interior with the top on, the result is that the damaged areas reflect almost as well as the silvered areas. the only defects that will be visible looking through the viewfinder are the line between silvered and unsilvered areas and any part of the clear area that isn't completely clean. Really through cleaning of the edge of the undamaged area minimizes its visibility. I've thought about cleaning all the silvering off the 'roof' sides, but never actaully tried it. I'm sure that measurement would show a difference in brightness between silved and unsilvered areas, but it is very slight to the human eye.

Moose

Charles Sdunek wrote:

Can you go into a little more detail here? Are you saying that if you buff the area where the silvering is damaged down to bare glass that it will be better than just cleaning it off so that it is not damaged further?