[OM] Re: meters

Subject: [OM] Re: meters
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:59:47 -0700
>From: "Titoy" <litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I have just owned an OM4t for three months and I
>am still feeling my way to know what exactly to meter in a picture. I have
>ended up many times with underexposed pictures!

Go get a gray card! Gray Card + Spot Meter = Incident Meter!

>Then now I realize I am
>faster to just bracket +1 in sunlit high contrast scenes when I am in a
>hurry.

Hmmm... I rarely bracket for exposure, and rarely have poor exposures. That's
not meant as a boast; it's just something you do better with practice. But if
you get in the habit of bracketing for exposure, you may never gain the
experience you need to NOT bracket!

(I do bracket, but for things other than exposure, such as DOF, shutter speed
for motion effects, or with different lighting.)

>I would just move the camera
>around the highlight and shadow and then mentally choose where between the
>extreme values I would lock in the manual exposure.

Especially if you use slide film, that technique is not going to be as accurate
as incident metering. You can get away with more of that with neg film, though.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.