[OM] OM3Ti - The beauty - last of it's kind

Subject: [OM] OM3Ti - The beauty - last of it's kind
From: "Jan Sturm \(GMX\)" <jan.sturm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:05:01 +0200
I guess, I'll answer on-list, as this has sparked some interest. Here's
the long story:

After touching base with  http://kurt.loeper.bei.t-online.de/ only to
discover that the last OM-3 Ti had been sold a mere 8 hours before my
inquiry, I was quite sad (Even though the website says otherwise, he
doesn't have any more OM-3 Ti's).
Unsuccessfully trying numerous dealers in Europe for two weeks (as I'm
based in Germany) as well as references from the mailing list (Wolf
Camera in Dallas - no money order payment option - I called!! - and btw,
Thanks Gary !) I finally inquried via the contact option on the Olympus
Europe Website via email for any options they might know of.

I got a very nice reply from the Product Manager, referring me, once
again, to Kurt Löper (website mentioned above - he still has a couple of
lenses and 4 TI's - at a price, though). He had included his phone
number and I decided to give him a ring.

We exchanged pleasantries and after a while, he asked for my phone
number and said he would try to help me but couldn't promise anything.

Not really having any hopes, I was taken by surprise when Photohaus
Colonnaden from Hamburg called me and said they would gladly sell me the
last NIB OM-3 Ti for 1999,- €. (Apparently the owner of that business
and the Product Manager at Olympus are friends)

I got all the paperwork done (fax back and forth) and transferred the
money and my camera will arrive in the next few days. They did, however
not enlighten me as to how they actually managed to get hold of that beauty.

So I gave the Product Manager another call to express my gratitude and
satisfy my curiosity.

What happened was that the 3 Ti used to have a different Part # when
introduced versus when discontinued. After looking up inventory under
the old Part#, they found what has to be the last OM-3 Ti in Europe.

That's the one I've bought. I asked the product manager if there were
more than this one piece - unfortunately that is not the case.

The only place one might still be successful in Europe is Olympus UK, as
they are on a different inventory system (as far as I'm told). However,
I do not have any contact information for the Product Manager there.

As soon as I have her through some rolls of film, I'll post pictures !

Kind regards,

Jan