Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:19:30 -0300
> > Given _lightweight travel_ criteria, i.e. one body, 2 lenses, period.
> > What would you take?
> >
> > Mike

>From my present kit, with only 2 lenses allowed, I guess I'd have to take
the Samyang 18-28 and the Tokina ATX 28-85. That would cover most subjects,
and give an acceptable macro on the Tokina.
But the problem is that for "lightweight travel" you are talking two things
that are quite different, that is number of lenses and weight of lenses. For
a similar size and weight as the 2 above, I could take 4 of the lenses that
take 49mm, such as  21, 28, 50, 100/2.8. My present 28 is a Vivitar 28/2 CF,
takes 49mm, and focuses down to 6 inches, is extremely sharp, and the CF
gives an acceptable macro capability. I have been so pleased with it I have
no desire for a 28 Zuiko. Since I don't have the 21 yet, for now it will
have to be 28, 35, 50, and 100. Also, I can screw my f=40cm on to one of the
lenses, adding almost no weight or size, giving another option of close ups,
and fits on all lenses. For light weight and moderate close up on a 50/1.8,
it wins hands down, looses no stops of light, and so gives good results hand
held. Screw a 49mm circular polarizer on another lens, adds almost nothing.
This kit of 4 lenses gives a lot more possibilities than the 2 zooms, IMO,
mostly due to the much faster f- stops, and the advantage of interchangeable
small filters. The whole kit can be carried in the pockets of a jacket (with
camera in hand) on a walkabout. As soon as I find the 21mm, I suspect some
of my zooms will be for sale.

Wayne