Re: [OM] 135/2.8 Reputation [Late Reply]

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/2.8 Reputation [Late Reply]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 01:16:55 -0400
I'm going to weigh in on the 135/2.8 reputation, albeit late . . .

I've had one now for a number of years. IMHO it's an excellent lens in performance. Combine it with the longer Vivitar extension tube set (14mm, 21mm and 36mm) and it can be used for macros with greater standoff distance. Might not be that handy on a copy stand, but quite useful in the field with risk of lens blocking light or disturbing a live subject.

Not only is the fast 135/2.8 Zuiko inexpensive in the OM system, it tends to be in nearly all systems. At one time, it was among the most popular of moderate focal lengths. With shutter speeds as low as 1/125th it can be reasonably hand held and also provide noticeable magnification. The 135mm in general has become the "forgotten" focal length with the rise in popularity of 100mm/105mm length for moderately long lenses. For a system of primes, the 50 -> 85/90 -> 135 combination is a logical one.

IMHO, the 135/2.8 Zuiko is small and light compared to other systems' fast 135's, and is an unsung hero "workhorse" lens.

-- John