Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 135/2.8 and 2 lens travel kits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:51:47 -0700
To me, you have mentioned several different situations for which I would use different kits, so the 2 lens for all thing doesn't work for me.

And yes, it appears that I would take a tripod where you might not. So often when I don't, I'm sorry. I often try anyway, only to end up with blurry pics or inadequate DOF. The 343E weighs only 2 pounds with head and makes a real difference even vs. a monopod. My TOPE 13 was taken using it, as were other shots taken on that trail. I just kept the tripod with camera on it in one hand much of the time. Sun starts down, shadows get bigger and deeper and boom, I'm trying to shoot 100mm at 1/30, f2.8. Put down the tripod and I get a steady shot at 1/8, f5.6 with some DOF. I've been thinking how to make a handle to go on the top or side of it to us it as a walking stick, with maybe a velcro strap to hold the legs together. At 18" collapsed, it will go in almost any luggage.

Serious photographic intent and a way to carry it and the Hakuba CF goes along.

Moose

Mike wrote:

But let me clarify the 2 lens criteria a bit. I was thinking of travel where
weight and simplicty are critical and photography is only one  objective and
probably not the primary objective but one wants a little more flexibility than
an XA would offer. Like wilderness backpacking or more extensive travel with a
light weight kit that you carry in one bag, Backpack, hostel, mochilero style.
I doubt you'd want to carry a tripod or couple of primes around in your pocket
like you might if you were based out of a hotel in one city.  Or this might
even be a kit that you grab when going for a walk and don't
expect to take pictures but don't want to go naked either.