[OM] OT- MF, God and Budda Nature, was Does buying a medium format make

Subject: [OM] OT- MF, God and Budda Nature, was Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 01:10:17 -0700
Sounds like you may be at a point in your life where you feel unfulfilled and are searching for meaning/purpose. MF equipment and big slides are unlikely to provide that, cheap thrills don't last. But, like Zuikoholism, they are less harmful than other addictive behaviors that hurt more than the pocketbook.

The better, more fulfilling answer is always in love, compassion, whatever spells for you the ultimate force that glues everything together. There is always a bigger, more satisfactory answer inside than anything we can find to acquire outside. The inner struggle, and giving in, is more likely to fulfill than any number of Fujis, Mayiyas, Rolleis, etc. Maybe it's time to let the 'anal nerd' go and a new version of Albert emerge?

Peace, brother,
  Moose

Albert wrote:

I've had my eye set on a medium format camera for a long time. My friend has a Hassy, and I took it out for a spin, but found it was way to cumbersome to take on vacations.. And so that ruined my medium format for vacation thoughts..

Until I saw the Fuji RF's, and the Mamiya RF's. Being this anal nerd, I'm always afraid of battery dependency, and so I thought, well, the Fuji's are not battery dependent, just like the Hassy's, and so I became pretty set on wanting one. It's like the billionaire who wants to build his own little Beetle. Why? Because that's what he has set his heart on. But I'm not sure if it's practical anymore.. I might have to step back and reevaluate it. But I saw a few slides from a 6x7, and they just blew me away...

I use to work at a place as a webmaster, and the place sold furniture. They would get their furniture taken in a studio by professionals with a either a 4x5 large format or a 6x7 MF and I remember staring at them, and thinking I wanted to make those too..

So I don't know if digital will satisfy seeing 6x7 or 6x9 sized slides as a replacement.. But then again, the practical side of me says, for the price, you can get a decent digital 35mm and probably almost equal the performance of medium format... Also, I've made only 3 8x10s in my lifetime.. So makes me wonder about going MF.. the inner struggles are horrible.