Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 12:57:48 -0500
The Mamiya 6 is a great option for a relatively inexpensive MF camera.  It has
some lens options, it's light, and the lens quality is high.  Don't expect
Hassy or Rollei body quality though.  Look here for lots of good Mamiya 6 and 7
reviews: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mf.htm   Also here:
http://www.photo.net/mamiya/6   And here:
http://www.pandemonia.com/pandemonia/reviews/mamiya-6.html

The Fuji RF's are nice, but no interchangability for the lenses.  That's enough
for me to exclude them vs. the Mamiyas.

I have an old Rolleiflex TLR that I love for slowed-down photography.  Moose is
right though, that it really needs a modern focusing screen, the older ones are
quite dark.  But that costs more, which isn't what I wanted to do.  A nice
1950's-60's 3.5 Rolleiflex can be had for $250-350 in working condition.  As
long as it works OK, the pictures will be great.  It's not the most convenient
travel camera though.

Here's the best picture that I've taken with the Rolleiflex so far:  It's a
downsampled, 1600x1600 pixel image.  The original scan on a friend's Nikon 8000
at 4000dpi was 250 MegBytes!

http://www.skipwilliams.adahost.com/data/Suprise-Lake-Iced-Up-6x6.jpg

Most people that I show it to like it.  Comments?

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost