Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?

Subject: Re: [OM] Does buying a medium format make sense anymore?
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:47:20 -0400
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 12:57:48 -0500

--snip--

>I have an old Rolleiflex TLR that I love for slowed-down
>photography.
--more snip--

A really nice shot, Skip.  Gives me chills.  I can almost feel the
wind.

But if you really want to do some slowed-down photography, get
yourself an old 6x9 Century or Crown Graphic and a 120 roll film
back.  What I like is that it gives me no choice but to go really,
really s-l-o-w, which is difficult for a motor drive addict.

The drill goes something like this:

1. Find subject to take picture of.
2. Set up tripod.
3. Put camera on tripod, pointed in general direction of 1.
4. Open outer doors on ground glass back.  (Like "Red October")
5. Open lens, making sure diaphragm is at maximum f/stop.
6. Focus and compose upside down and backwards picture.
7. Close lens diaphragm.  (VERY IMPORTANT)
8. Close outer doors on ground glass back.
9. Remove ground glass back.
10. Install roll film back.
11. Determine exposure with meter, preferably of the incident type.
12. Set shutter speed.
13. Set f/stop.
14. Remove dark slide from roll film back. (VERY IMPORTANT)
15. Cock shutter.
16. Take picture.
17. Replace dark slide in roll film back. (VERY IMPORTANT)
18. Advance film in roll film back. (VERY IMPORTANT)
19. Change mind about composition and remove roll film back.
20. Put ground glass back back on camera.
21. Start over at 4.

It'll save you money on film, because it's hard to shoot more than
a couple of rolls a day.

Walt