RE: [OM] "Silver-nose" 35mm 2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] "Silver-nose" 35mm 2.8
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 09:26:43 +0100
Can't speak for the 35/2.8 Douglas, but as far as 50mm goes, I think it is
accepted hereabouts that the very latest production lenses are the best
performers optically.  From comparing a silvernose 1.8 with an all-black 1.8
against a desk lamp, I can tell you that the flare control in the all-black
version is very significantly better (which I assume to be due to multi- vs
single-coating).  I understand, however, that the silver nose was blackened
to avoid problems of relections from the filter ring.  Either way,
objectively the later lenses are better (he said, without checking Gary
Resse's data, but keeping fingers crossed).

But aesthetically (ie subjectively), the silvernose just "looks the part" in
a way the all-black doesn't, and is the only lens worthy of a place on an
early OM-1.  In my opinion!

Piers