Re: [OM] 24mm or 28mm for travelling and 24mm FS

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm or 28mm for travelling and 24mm FS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:44:05 -0700
Back in the late 70s and 80s, my kit was a Vivitar 28/2.5, Zuiko 35-70/3.6 and Tokina RMC 80-200/4 and I thought that pretty much covered everything I could want except a longer telephoto. Since getting back on the photography bandwagon and acquiring a case of Zuikoholism, I've acquired Zuiko and other lenses covering the 18-35mm range several different ways. My first 'super-wide was a 21/3.5 (that Dan has now) and a 24/2.8 was next. If I had to travel with only one lens wider than 35mm, I think it would be the 24mm, wide enough for most WA travel uses and not particularly hard to use. The 18 and 21 are wonderful lenses, but more specialized and requiring more attention and slower.

Coincidently ;-) , I have an extra 24/2.8 for sale, a pretty silvernose. It has only subtle signs of use on the silver nose and the aperture ring. It has what appears to be a small sliver of blackening paint that flaked off and fell on an inner element. Since it is small and black, it doesn't affect images. All other coatings, functions perfect. What makes this one special is that it can come with everything! The hard case is in good shape with no marks, scuffs or white showing through but with a couple of subtle indentations where it spent too long up against a strap or some such in a camera bag. The original metal hood in its place in the top of the case and it has original caps. Tom has an EX silvernose for member price of $149. Add case and hood and I'm asking $169

There is also an add-on that the buyer or a collector might like. I have a box for this lens, marked H.ZUIKO AUTO-W F2.8 f=24mm with original instruction sheet and even the corrugated cardboard packing material. What is special about the box is that the serial # is blank, so you can fill in the number of this or another, possibly mint, lens, add a finer case, and have a complete, NIB set. I don't know how people rate boxes. This one is like you would likely have found on a dealers shelf years ago, with a few subtle indentations that can be seen in reflected light, but no scuffs or marks through the glossy finish, and a price sticker from 'Wonderful Waxman' for $279.95 (Oh, now I remember why I didn't have one of these back in the 70s!). Price sticker looks like it may be removeable, but I haven't tried it. Listee price with the lens $20, alone, $25.

Unquestioned satisfaction guarantee, but you pay the shipping both ways if returned for any reason other than a flaw in my description or in functionality. USPS Express mail likely $6.50 in US, actual cost elsewhere.

Moose

Mike wrote:

If it was a choice between the 24mm and 28mm, which lens would you take for traveling?

Albert, i always took a 28mm because that's what i had and that's what i
could afford (and afford to lose)  i used it as a "normal" lens and also
brought along a 135/3.5 (see minimalist thread)  but now I have a 24mm
and definitely would choose it over the 28. It especially pairs nicely
with a small mid range zoom like the 35~70 or 35~105. My opinion only of
course.

mike