Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] macro lens advice wanted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:52:24 -0700
I only acquired a 135/4.5 farily recently. It is an excellent lens optically and I really appreciate the working distance. The 65-116 tube is a unique solution that is a bit odd at first compared to a looong helicoid, but actually faster to use now that I'm used to it.

The only problem for me is that the combo only goes to 1:2.3, which often isn't enough for me. Oly recommends against using another auto tube with the 65-116, although some listees report having done so successfully. In the ultimate theoretical sense, the 80/4 is the lens Oly designed for the range closer than the 135/4.5, but I've read on the list that its bokeh is poorer than the very nice bokeh of the 135. The result so far is that I love the 135 with 65-116, but the Kiron 105/2.5 1:1 gets more use because of it's greater overall flexibility without fuss. Even the lens hood is built in, less bits and pieces = less fuss to use. With 135mm, 65-116, hood for 135mm and 80mm or another tube that's 4 pieces to juggle to do what the Kiron does with one, other than the greater working distance at moderate macro. The slightly greater magnification possible with the 80mm doesn't matter to me. As mostly work outside, fewer pieces and complexity are big pluses.

By the way, a Tamron 55mm lens cap is much more practical with the 135/4.5 than the Oly cap. It has center squeeze tabs and can be easily put on and off with the hood in place.

Moose

Walt Wayman wrote:

Rich,

You're leaning in the right direction. The 135/4.5 is my most often used macro lens, usually on the 65-116 auto tube, rarely on the bellows, which I don't use very often. I've got the 38/2.8, 50/3.5, 50/2, 80/4 Zuiko macros and a 90/2.8 Tamron 1:1 macro. Except for the 50/2, which has become my de facto "normal" lens, the 135/4.5 sees more use than any of the others.

I don't get up and down as easily as I once did myself, and the longer focal length comes in handy. Besides, on the 65-116 tube, it focuses to infinity, so you're good to go from about six inches on out.

Walt

From: "Richard  Hawkins" <rhawkin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am currently considering the purchase of a macro lens to use with the auto extension tube, focusing rail and stage, and tripod or with the auto bellows. I seem to be leaning towards the 135mm f4.5. The distance from lens to subject is an import factor for me due to medical problems (arthritic knees and ankles).