[OM] Letter of explanation eBay seller of MINT

Subject: [OM] Letter of explanation eBay seller of MINT
From: "danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:28:01 -1000
Hi Dan, you wrote:

>Was your flash made at the US Mint where they make coins or does your
>flash come with a box of mints
>What's the word mint mean to you?
>--------------------
>Question from:           coolbluey
>Title of item:           Olympus OM Ring Flash T10 - MINTY!
>Seller:                  gary.schloss
>Starts:                  May-20-03 22:08:22 PDT
>Ends:                    May-27-03 22:08:22 PDT
>Price:                   Currently $89.99
>To view the item, go to:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2930317913

The system for describing cosmetic condition of used photogear was
probably invented when both of us were in diapers, so I can't take
credit for it (nor would I :-)).  However, it seems to work quite
well for many mail-order vendors as well as on eBay.

Here is a quick primer.  MINT means LIKE-NEW, but without boxes,
packaging, owner's manuals, etc.  I also use near-MINT and MINT-.
Numerically, they correspond respectively to 10, 10- and 9 (or 9+).
To save room in titles, which eBay limits to 80 characters, I'll
often use "MINTY" as a generic substitute for the above three.

It goes downhill from there.  I use: EXC++, EXC+, EXC, EXC-, FAIR,
POOR.  However, the last four rarely show up in my eBay listings
because I don't deal in such low grade stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thanks much for your interest and good luck with your bids,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Aloha and Mahalo from Maui HI
There's a thread on this subject of the use of the word MINT, it's quit
interesting how it was only used in the coin collector community and
then people went nuts
Thanks for your patients.
Dan