Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK

Subject: Re: [OM] Warning: flying into (and out of) the UK
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:50:06 +0200
On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:24:13 +0100
Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Further to the discussion about film at UK airports, I was just
> having a browse around the BAA website and came across this
> document:
>
> http://www.baa.co.uk/doc/4a19ba337a0593fa80256c0500363ede_main.html
>
> Definitely makes it clear that hand searching is an option for fast
>
> film.  BAA operate Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow airports plus a
> few others, so if you're visiting the UK by air and arriving at
> those airports it might be worth brandishing a copy of the page.
> Of course, they've got that nasty clause about 'the final decision
> in all individual cases will always rest with the on-duty security
> supervisor'.

Well......interresting info - although it seems that there is far
from written policy to implementation in the airport....

> I happen to be flying from Stansted tomorrow, might try taking some
> 800 speed film just to see what results I get asking for a
> handsearch.  Then again, seeing as it's bank holiday weekend and
> the airport will no doubt be jam packed (and they've also chosen
> this weekend to close down the Stansted Express for engineering
> works) I reckon the security guards might not be at their most
> amenable!

You mean that they ever are??? Anyways, good luck on your travels.

--thomas

> Roger
>
> Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
>

> > Well, I asked for the security supervisor, who informed me that
> > the rules put out by your TSA (transport safety authority - I
> > assume) did not permit them to hand-check anything whatsoever.
> > Now, I assume that the TSA is a government body, which then
> > should be controlled by your elected representatives....which, by
> > transition, the brittish people should be in control of. Ohh,
> > wait, you have non-elected representatives, right? What are they
> > called "house of lords", or something? Ok, if they are in charge
> > of the TSA, then you are in the clear :)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx