Re: [OM] Letter of explanation eBay seller of MINT

Subject: Re: [OM] Letter of explanation eBay seller of MINT
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 06:29:04 -0600
At 06:32 PM 5/21/2003 -0700, Jeff Keller wrote:
0.) NEW
1.) MINT
2.) near-MINT
3.) MINT-
4.) EXC++
5. )EXC+
6.) EXC

With six levels above EXC no wonder EXC doesn't mean much. Sounds like
what all too many eBay sellers call EXC ("such low grade stuff").  I
thought Gary Schloss had a much better than typical reputation ...

He does.  And he knows his stuff, too.

The confusion around grading levels is why I've always counseled others (and taken my own advice) not to bother with such ratings at all, but rather to write fair, accurate and comprehensive descriptions of the defects and advantages of whatever it is I'm selling. Plus lots of *good* photos of the item(s) in question. This takes longer, but coupled with a judicious refund policy, it seems to result in reasonably high final bids for the item.

Garth