Re: [OM] OT: audiophile's news

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: audiophile's news
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:47:44 -0400
Lama,

Years ago, I put my Acoustic Research ES-1 turntable on a Target
Audio wall rack specifically made for that purpose.  It's screwed
to the studs in a load-bearing, outside wall and is solid as a
rock.  I can crank up the Vandersteen 3a's, bi-amped with over 400
watts of McCormack power, until the dishes in the kitchen rattle,
but there's no feedback to the turntable.  It took me about a half
hour to install the rack, get it perfectly level, and put the
turntable on it.

I highly recommend a moving coil cartridge, but they can be tricky
to install and to load just right, and it's important to have a
good preamp.  The changes to my 'table that made the greatest
improvement were: (1) replacing the cheap wiring in the Rega RB300
arm with Cardis wires, (2) replacing the composite arm board with
a metal one, and (3) setting the whole thing on Tiptoes.

By the way, are you acquainted with Rube Goldberg? :-)

Walt