[OM] Re: Good image cataloging/sorting software?

Subject: [OM] Re: Good image cataloging/sorting software?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:50:20 -0700
>From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Well..  I am going to attempt to catalog and sort all my pictures that
>I've got scanned..  They are of course, in the generic non-descript
>names like DSC00120541.jpg  So I'm curious, what do you all use to sort
>your digital pictures?

At the pro level, Extensis Portfolio and Canto Cumulus pretty much own the
market. $100 to $200 for single-user, expandable into a full client-server.

I have been with Portfolio sinci it was called "Aldus Fetch." You can download
a demo from <http://www.extensis.com>. It has a few quirks, but basically works
very well. It will scale forever -- I currently have over 10,000 images in it,
and searches are just as fast as when you only have a few.

The key to ANY imagebase is good keywording. There isn't really any good way to
do that automatically. It takes discipline. I keyword immediately when adding.

With Portfolio (at least), you can easily assign the same keyword to multiple
images very easily. It also has separate fields for stuff like "Location" that
can be batch-loaded. And you can add your own fields, like "f-stop" and
"shutter-speed" if you like. For digicam owners, Portfolio will automagically
load EXIF data from the image.

If you're comfortable with some light programming, Portfolio is scriptable, and
can export HTML, XML, and SQL, and probably a few other TLAs. I believe it can
even be a live web image server, although I don't use that.

>I'm trying to hunt for something, but thus far, most seem to suck pretty
>badly.

Of course, there are lots of cheaper alternatives. But I can assure you that
Portfolio sucks not at all!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.