[OM] OT Starbucks (was ~ I bought an Olympus u~II (Stylus Epic) for $12!

Subject: [OM] OT Starbucks (was ~ I bought an Olympus u~II (Stylus Epic) for $12!!)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 23:25:59 EDT
Larry wrote:
>$4 a cup of coffee?? Even if their coffee wasn't all hype & bitter, that's
>still ridiculous!..:)

I'm with you on this one, Larry, even if it was written in jest (but that IS
the price!).  Starbucks is over-roasted bitter crap, IMNSHO.  Seattle's Best
or Tullys or just about anything else is better, and cheaper, as well.  It's
just a "hip" yuppy cult thing (no offense meant to Albert or other Starbucks
fans - just to yuppies).  As a sailor, I love the name (Captain Ahab's chief
mate
in Moby Dick).  But I can't drink the damn stuff.  Their other drinks (teas,
etc.) are good, but also pricey.

The one bonus of the coffee madness in Seattle (and it is madness - there is
a barista on nearly every block, including one on a little boat on Lake
Union!) is that now even boring chain restaurants like Dennys serve decent
coffee.

Personally, I prefer to frequent the Crumpet Shoppe at Pike Place Market, and
have tea with fresh-made crumpets or scones.  I get something scrumptious for
my $4 there!

Rich

P.S.  Starbucks has purchased Seattle's Best.  They best not mess with it!