[OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????

Subject: [OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:02:42 -0700
>From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Linux Operating System??????
>
>I'm not sure what's special about a Mac to do all those things.

Well, I was specifically referring to running Unix and popular commercial
personal computing applications at the same time.

>I do them
>all the time on the Dell Windows XP machine. P4-2.66, 512MB, Audigy 2, etc.
>etc., $600. Beat that with a Mac :)

It is not in my interest to make price the highest priority in computing. ("See
this picture? It was made with the cheapest equipment available!" Potential
customer politely leaves in disgust.)

In fact, I find having exotic equipment that costs a bit more is more than made
up for by additional sales. When people discover I use [Macintosh | Roland |
drum scanner | Olympus] instead of stuff everyone has, like [Windows | Epson |
film scanner | Nikon/Canon], they are often more interested. They often respond
with, "Yea, I've heard Macs are great for graphics," or "I never realized
Olympus was so much better than other cameras."

A real problem with selling photography is that everyone has a camera, and
everyone fancies themselves a photographer. Using equipment that most people
don't have access to increases allure. Why do you think most wedding
photographers use Hassies?

I always thought this argument should be easy to make to a bunch of enthusiasts
of over-priced cameras. After all, you can take the same photos on a very cheap
camera as you can on an Olympus, no? :-) Imagine the subtle differences in
ergonomics, durability, built, ease-of use, etc. between an OM-4T and a modern
"do everything" wonderbrick. There are similar differences between Macintoshes
and inexpensive Windows machines.

Is it worth it? Certainly not to everyone, or everyone would be using Mac and
driving Porches!

Please, don't feel you have to defend your low-cost computing. I drive a
20-year-old Ford pickup. It was cheap and got great fuel economy. My
transportation needs don't include impressing others. But I don't go around
telling Porche drivers that they made a bad choice!

(Of course, there are always those folks, paddling down that river in Egypt,
insisting that Fords and Porsches are indistinguishable in all ways except
price... :-)
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.