Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT Acrobat (was but not now 'long')

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT Acrobat (was but not now 'long')
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 00:53:53 -0600
> I tend to avoid large file transfers. I think twice about anything
> over 4MB. Brian

 Whereas I'm also on dialup, and don't worry about downloading files 100meg
or so in size. Sure, it takes a while, but the secret is to use GetRight (or
equivalent) -- they'll let you stop a download in midstream and come back to
it later, so you're not stuck online praying nothing hiccups for five
hours..

 They also split the download into multiple parallel streams, which gets
around the problem where even though I theoretically have a 5.5k/second
link, the most I'll see over a single transfer for some strange reason is
less than half that -- because it downloads different chunks at the same
time, it speeds things up.

 www.getright.com -- very highly recommended.

 -- dan