Re: [OM] OT: audiophile's news

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: audiophile's news
From: "Ian BManners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 12:39:35 +1000 (EST)
Hi Moose

>Sand is generally a far better vibration damper than concrete. Not an
>audiophile comment, just physics/engineering.

Not set, just the cement powder WITH the sand, that tends to have excellent
damping qualities, I think you will also find it depends on the sand/concrete
used as I followed a rather lengthy discussion on this subject about
20 years ago. Also dont claim to be golden ear but I did have the time
and "want" on my hands many years ago.

It could also simply have something to do with the solid coupling to the
floor boards but it makes for very tight, well defined bass, and a very
'solid' listening experience. And then of cause, you have an excellent
Q and other parameters with ensure the cabinet resonance is non
existant. Both my speakers have dual Philips bass drivers, mounted in
tandam, I, um, got a bit bored in my early years :-)

My back set (of 3) are standard hardwood tower cabinets with Vifa
drivers.

Speaker technology is akin to Operating Systems, and Cameras in
that its all very personal, and depends on what you want, me, I
like my classic music but I also like my piano music, and I still like
to get the EG out and play along to Deep Purples Black Night or
Child in Time. Then of cause, the good recordings made by
Black Sabbath, and Hawkwind also shine.....

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.com.au/