[OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale

Subject: [OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 14:38:37 -0400
How do I make a simple grey scale that I can print out, then photograph?  If
tell PS to "Fill" something at 18%, then print it on my
inkjet, will it match my store bought 18 0rey card or does "18%" in PS mean
something different?  What is the 8-bit equivalent of
18% reflectance?  Obviously all the colors will be equal but what's the value
between 0 and 255?

I'm trying to make a series of density patches in grey only so I can figure out
which modes of my film scanner, if any, are linear.
(Currently I'm adjusting mids one way, and the highlights another.)

In PS7, I chose the "Rectangle tool" and drew a "Shape".  Then I made a
duplicate "Layer".  The help file says once I've selected a
layer I can fill it with "Edit>Fill".  "Fill" is greyed out.  It's amazing to
me that after drawing a rectangle, I can't right
click, choose properties, then fill, then choose a color.

<I edited out the traditional gnashing of the teeth over PS.>

Lama