Re: [OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 13:08:15 -0600
At 02:38 PM 5/25/2003 -0400, Lama wrote:

[snip]

>I'm trying to make a series of density patches in grey only so I can figure
>out which modes of my film scanner, if any, are linear.
>(Currently I'm adjusting mids one way, and the highlights another.)
>
>In PS7, I chose the "Rectangle tool" and drew a "Shape".  Then I made a
>duplicate "Layer".  The help file says once I've selected a
>layer I can fill it with "Edit>Fill".  "Fill" is greyed out.  It's amazing to
>me that after drawing a rectangle, I can't right
>click, choose properties, then fill, then choose a color.

Sounds painful.  Try this way:

Start PS7.

Create a new window of any size you wish (for some reason, when I do this sort
of thing, I start with a 500 x 500 pixel window, but whatever...); choose a
background colour of white.

In the floating toolbar, click on the "foreground colour" rectangle.  A
dialogue box will open.  In there, you can pick any combo of colours available
in the various colourspace models (Lab, HSB, etc.)

Input (for example) 209,209,209 into the RGB dialogue section.

Select "OK".

Now grab the Fill Bucket tool, and use that to dump your chosen foreground
colour (18% black) into the window.

All done!  The whole window is now "18 0rey."

Garth