Re: [OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop7: Making a grey scale
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:58:40 -0400
Cc: <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Good start, thanks.

I started with File>New>Greyscale, 80ppi.  Is that why Edit>Fill is locked out
(grey-out)?

How do I fill the Shape with the color?  I already have an 18% reference so
what I'm looking to do is measure the color shifts in
highlights, mids, and shadows in the 3 film scanner modes available to me:
8 - bit,
16 bit (which is really 12 bit converted to 16),
and "16 linear".

If they make a distinction between "16" and "16 linear" is that an admission
that "16" is lousy?  What *EXACTLY* does "linear" mean
to Minolta?  Is the non-linear mode really "logirithmic"?

The manual says "16 linear" means "16 bit linear" and doesn't even hint that
the scanner's actually collecting 12.  The website is
no help either.

Lama

From: "Garth Wood" <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Well, there's a bunch of different ways you can do this.  PS7 allows you to
> use several different colour models (Lab, HSB, RGB,
etc.).  In Lab and HSB, the values for 18 0rey (which is really 180f pure
black, and the same thing as 820f pure white) are:

>    L,a,b = 84, 0, 0
>
>    H,S,B = 0, 0, 82
>
> Or you can input the value as a RGB triplet, thusly:
>
>    R,G,B = 209, 209, 209 (slightly off from 82% white, because [(256 x .82) -
> 1] = 208.92 or approx. 209; close enough for
jazz...)