Re: [OM] eB*y Shipping delay: 20 days!?

Subject: Re: [OM] eB*y Shipping delay: 20 days!?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:35:44 +1200
John wrote
>  Who told you that there is duty to be paid on used equipment. I used to
> belong to a collectors list, and somebody posted a section of the
> duty/tariff regulations which said there is no duties to be paid.
> Obviously someone is wrong. And I will not assume the person at FEDEX
> had the updated regs either. Now you got me wondering, though I have
> bought very little outside the US except from our very helpful enabler
> Mr. CH Ling. Anybody have an idea where to look for the list of dutiable
> items for the US?

FEDEX, UPS et al have an unenviable reputation in NZ of calculating and
billing for customs charges that are not chargeable, and if you don't pay,
they sell your item to recoup costs. Their costs are not small.

Specifically, GST at the normal 12.5 0s payable on private imports valued
more than $NZ400. FEDEX et al calculate it anyway, charge the importer for
their "work" as well as the duty.

NZ Post and Customs do neither if the value is under 400. It just turns up at
your letter-box with no added charges and no delay.

Brian