Re: [OM] OT - sort of -- anyone looked at the Canon 10D?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - sort of -- anyone looked at the Canon 10D?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 11:24:10 +0800
Yes, if you can wait (I can't) two to three years later there may be a
35mm full size sensor DC in today's price but who knows. Who knows if
Can*n will introduce a SLR DC that only accept the EOS lens and all
lenses with no electronic contacts will not work. I only want to use
my Zuikos not any others lens.

After using the 10D for a thousand photos I found that it has quite
narrow D-range, it is not as good as the E10, highlight easily burnt
out and you will miss a lots of sky details (I have already set to
lowest contrast and use RAW). For the shadow, it is not natural,
require some curving to make it right. If you want to consider a
better system, you better look around for the others, I think the
problem could be due to the CMOS sensor, I believe CCD is still better
today.

I would also like to talk about the lens, I know most people will say
they like high contrast lens and say good lens should have high
contrast. If you are on the list long enough you will know me, I
always say I like mid to low contrast lens. I believe most slides are
still design according to the lens made in the earlier age like
1970-1980. You will need some medium contrast lens to give the best
result. Especially for the negative and prints, most consumer one are
having very high contrast to suit the needs of the publics, they like
eye catching prints no one care about the highlight or shadow details.
Why I raise this out? I bought a used Can*n 28-135 IS, this 4x
multi-element zoom has very high contrast, when it use with the 10D it
gives more problem, on the other hand with most Zuikos the lower
contrast just save the day!

Someone also point out the cheap third party zoom is better than the
Zuiko fix, I believe it is also due to high contrast, it make them
look sharper, if it is what you want, go for it.

C.H.Ling