Re: [OM] Starter camera -- OM-G

Subject: Re: [OM] Starter camera -- OM-G
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:48:34 +0200
Is the OM-G what we call OM-20 in the rest of the world? I.e. the
OM-10 with "build in" manual adaptor (shutter speeds around the mount
as on other OMs)?

It is an excellent camera and probably Tom is right about his best
"value for money". My only "issues" with it is, that the viewfinder
information (as with all 2-digit bodies) is tailored for
apeture-priority auto and offers little for manual exposure.

For the reason that it does not offer very good viewfinder assistance
for manual exposure, I'd say that while it is excellent for backup
and/or an advanced P&S, it's not a very good "learning camera"...the
OM1 is still unsurpased for that, I think. This holds imo for all
om10-20-30-40: the lack of good viewfinder support for manual
exposire is their biggest "flaw".

Hey, think about what would have happened if Olympus made a version
of the OM20 or OM40 with a viewfinder in manual mode like the
OM1...ohh, wait, they did - they're called OM2 and OM2s/p
respectively, and are my clear favourites in the OM lineup :)

Incidentially, I have a spare OM20 laying around, if anyone is
interrested.

--thomas

On Mon, 26 May 2003 15:19:46 -0400
"Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, you already know you'll like it :)
>
> The OM-G is the best value/$ OM body.
>
> Tom

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)