Re: [OM] Olympus on the Mt. Everest

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus on the Mt. Everest
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:55:50 EDT
I was in the Everest base camp area in 2000 and saw lot's of gear and it was
pre-digital crazy.  The climbers and trekkers had mostly smaller mechanical
cameras such as Leica, Nikon FM's etc..others had lightweight Canon EOS gear.
Many had stylus type cameras (I had an OM 4,3 and a Contax G system).  There
are pictures taken with the big fuij 617's  from the area so a few take larger
stuff.  Art Wolfe has pictures taken with a 300/2.8 from there as well.

*side note:  I was in Namche Bazaar, which is the last bit of civilization at
12,000 feet+, when I saw a couple from Germany in horror over their broken
camera-the only one they brought.  It was a point and shoot and wouldn't do
anything other than beep.  A bunch of us tinkered with it but it was toast
(computer chip edema?)  I reached in my pack and gave them my old trusty $5
pawn shop
Olympus Stylus.  They were happy and we went our separate ways.   Hope they
got some lifetime shots with it.
Also paid for part of my bill for anti-biotics at the altitude clinic in
Lobouche with Velvia film : ) as the doctor was low on film and had a month or
more left in her tunure.  No film? Now THAT is a real emergencey up there!

Jay