[OM] Starter Camera - OMG

Subject: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 23:58:36 EDT
Wayne wrote:
snip
>I find now that I use an OM2s almost
>exclusively, and about 950f the time in manual mode.
snip

Me, too, Wayne.  And lately, my favorite method is to pick a shutter speed
and guess which aperture will give proper exposure (DOF considerations aside),
using MY "spot meter" eyeball to "meter" the subject.  I get within a stop,
usually.  That's a good exercise.

I would STRONGLY urge new OMers to find an OM-1 or OM-1n for their first or
at least 2nd OM.  I can see starting kids with the OM-G for several reasons.
Or getting into the OM line on a strict budget.  But at some point, metering,
aperture, DOF relationships will need to be learned if one wants to get the
most out of the hobby.  The OM-1 models are fine, robust, all-season cameras
that
serve well as a first, second, or reliable backup camera for whatever
follows.  I may sell darn near everything else someday (gulp), but I'll always
have
an OM-1 or 1n.  You can cut that into marble.

Considering a new plastic SLR will cost you around $350, an OMG for $47 or an
OM-1or 1n for $125-$150 is a STEAL.

Rich