Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG

Subject: Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG
From: "Tom Albright" <n5ksk3@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 07:59:03 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I also don't see how learning the effects of shutter speeds by taking
> the ones I see in the viewfinder and setting them on a ring is any
> better than seeing the speeds in the viewfinder and knowing that's what
> I'm using. In fact, it seems to me it would more distracting to a novice
> to have to set it than to be aware what is being set. Of course I
> learned the other way, hand held meter and hand set apeture and shutter
> speed, 'cause that's all there was. I don't think that means it's the
> best way to learn. May or may not be, probably depends on the person
> learning. Kids growing up today are quite aware of the relationship
> between readouts and results.

Yes, and yes.  I began photography 20+ years ago as a hobby using my dad's
old Argus C3 and a handheld lightmeter.  After some practice, I could set
the camera without using the lightmeter, and get good (better than good!)
results.  I have taken the camera out over the last several years just to
shoot a roll through it, mainly for the memories it brings.  While I was
scouring ebay for accessories for it, I developed the desire to take the
next step, into SLR photography.  I thought about it, and talked to several
local photogs, and decided a manual SLR was the ticket.  I researched, and
decided on the Nikon FM series.

While on a trip, I found the OM-G in a pawn shop with flash and fisheye for
$75.  (My research is good, but results are often unpredctable!)  I found
the old "eyeball" habits work real well with the G and manual mode;  I've
thought about springing for a lightmeter, but most of the time a little
thinking solves the rare problem I have with metering.  I recently bought
the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.  A little pre-knowledge
of how the camera settings work and affect the result helps more than having
the "right" equipment.

So, right now I'm happy with my "beginner" camera.  (I'll always be a
"beginner", always something new to learn.)  I'm currently learning more
about lenses than cameras... And like Mr. Scales, I will have two cameras
for my budding photographers if I step up to another "beginner" camera.

 - Tom