Re: [OM] Motor Drive 1 versions "Big button version"

Subject: Re: [OM] Motor Drive 1 versions "Big button version"
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:40:43 -0500
The problem was that the early "big button" MD's did not conform to Mr.
Maitani's directive
that "casual accidents" should not elicit improper operation of the camera --
in other words,
just putting the camera in a case should not cause it to fire.  Note that the
release button
on most OM's has to be depressed below the top of the release button collar to
trip the
shutter, making it less likely that the camera would fire by accident.
Properly adjusted
"improved" MD's and winders, etc., should operate the same.

At the same time, he insisted that a truly professional camera had no need for
a device to
_prevent_ the camera from operating (i.e., a lock on the shutter release) --
including such a
device might interfere with a photographer's ability to shoot that
"once-in-a-lifetime" shot,
while it's absence would likely result in the loss of only one frame of film.
Also, note
that almost all OM's are "ready to fire", whether they are "turned on" or not
-- simply
pressing the release button, even when the camera is otherwise "off", still
allows basic
operation within reasonable limits, a truly "professional" feature.