Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG

Subject: Re: [OM] Starter Camera - OMG
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:14:22 -0700

>....If I were teaching a novice today, I might start out with a camera,
>probably digital, that can do everything automatically or manually, set
>to Auto. I think composition is one of the most difficult things to
>teach. Learning to see differently than we ordinarily do so as to notice
>distracting backgrounds or other elements that the eye normally edits
>out in favor of the object of interest, in order to visualize .....ranting
>snipped

Mike continues the rant:

Moose, I  agree (except about the digital part, maybe). Conventional
wisdom says give 'em a manual camera and make 'em learn the basics
first. Baloney! That's like teaching math by making kids memorize
mutiplication tables. Maybe it has something to do with puritan work
ethic, if it's too easy it must be sinful. I gave my wife an OMPC set to
program mode. Let her look at the world through a view finder for a
while and maybe when she sees the results if she enjoys it enough she'll
want to learn how to get what she wants on to film. Worst case, she's
got a cheap point & shoot that takes great pictures.

Mike  (Whew!)