[OM] Re: Tamron 28-200 zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 28-200 zoom
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:31:31 -0400
Two of the three Tamron 28-200s are available with the
Adaptall mount, the first one (no close focusing) and the
next model, the first with internal focusing.  The latest
Tamron 28-200 IF is only available in autofocusing mounts.

I have the IF Adaptall 28-200,  and took it with a 2n on my
last vacation instead of a bagful of Zuiko primes.  This was
my first attempt at using a zoom as a general purpose lens.
(My other zooms are a 75-150 which I never use, and a Kiron
80-210 f/4 pumpkin-masher.)

The Tamron was a competent performer, but not the same as
primes (duh!).  Although carrying around a fanny-pack instead
of a camera bag was nice, handling the camera with such a
huge lens all the time is something I haven't gotten used
to.  And I lost my relative inconspicuousness when taking
pictures.  People noticed when I pointed that thing in their
direction!  Not at all like using a 100mm f/2.8.