Re: [OM] Zuiko's in National Geographics

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko's in National Geographics
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:14:52 -0700
Skip Williams recently wrote:
The OM lens used in this, the current issue of NG, was a 38/2.8
Auto-Macro.  You have to attach it to some sort of extension device,
whether an extension tube, the Auto-tube, or a bellows.

    Actually, the 38/2.8 lens, unlike the 80/4 and 135/4.5, will mount
directly on the OM cameras.  I looked at a ruler with my 38/2.8 lens on
my OM4T, and the field of view is about 26mm wide, so one is at a little
over 1X magnification.  Granted, I normally use the lens on the 65-116
auto extension tube, but it is possible to mount and use the 38/2.8
directly on the camera.  The 20/2 OM lens also mounts directly on the
camera;  the field of view is between 9 and 10mm, so one is at about
3.6X magnification.  While I don't remember taking any shots with either
lens mounted directly on the camera, nothing protrudes from the rear of
either of these lenses, and the mirror does not hit any part of the lens
when one fires the camera.  Forget about focusing at infinity with the
38/2.8, however;  the front of the lens is about 7cm from the subject
with no extension.
    For someone interested in shots of small insects (not giants like
tiger swallowtails, luna moths, or monarch butterflies) or such cuties
as jumping spiders, the 38/2.8 is unmatched.  I use it on the 65-116mm
auto extension tube to shoot insect larvae underwater (time to brag a
little:  I just sold 4 of these shots to our state DNR) and to shoot
jumping spiders.  It is an incredible lens for these animals.
Best wishes,
Dean