RE: [OM] Before I put 4 2100mAh in my winder......

Subject: RE: [OM] Before I put 4 2100mAh in my winder......
From: "daniel" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:23:49 -1000
Thanks Tom I'll put em in then
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Albright
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 2:11 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message -----
From: "daniel" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2003 4:55 PM
Subject: [OM] Before I put 4 2100mAh in my winder......

> Before I put 4 2100mAh in my winder...... won't hurt it well it? it's
> 1.2v over most 1.5v
> Dan

I'm not sure I understand your question, but will answer the
possibilities.

First, the mAh rating only applies to how fast the batteries drain in
use.
In this case, they are capable of supplying 2.1 amps for one hour.  Less
draw, more use, more draw, less use.  If you have the manual for the
winder,
look at the loaded current rating, and divide the mAh rating of the
batteries by the current rating to get a rough time (in hours) of how
long
the batteries will last.

Voltage - you're looking at 4 X 1.2 (NiCds) = 4.8V,. 4 X 1.5 (Dry CZn)=
6.0V, 4 X 1.4 (Alkaline) = 5.6V.  According to the info on this page:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/sha
red/mdwinder/winder2/

the winder works with 4-6V range of battery supply.  As long as you are
in
this range, you're OK.  Use the highest mAh battery you can find.  Your
best
performance would be Alkalines, or rechargable alkalines. The voltage
drop
over time isn't as steep as NiCds, which start dropping almost
immediately.
>From 1.2, it's not far to 1.0, which would bring you below the winder
working voltage fairly quickly.  Alkalines drop slowly over time, then
croak
fast.  Check the major battery cell makers' pages for charts on the
different types of batteries and how they perform.

Also on the page I linked to is this info:

"Capacity: Approx. 20 rolls of 36-exposure film with a set of fresh
Manganese batteries, approx. 50 rolls with Alkaline batteries; approx.
15
rolls with Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries, at normal temperature."

This is based on the battery technology when the winder was produced,
and
things have changed a little.  Check the specs on the newer batteries.