[OM] Re: Name these defects

Subject: [OM] Re: Name these defects
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:43:14 -0700
It looks like you may have several problems. These looked like they were
heavily processed in Photoshop (or similar). Or perhaps heavily manipulated in
your scanning software.

It looks to me like the florescent lighting was severely lacking in one of the
primaries -- probably red -- and your scanning or editing software tried to do
a white balance, which amplified the poor channel so much that all the grain
came out. It changes color because near the end of its response curve, both
film and CCD scanners are highly non-linear, and small changes in light can
cause large shifts in response. If there was essentially no red light present,
your scanner or editing software is cranking up the gain to the max to try to
see some red.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.