Re: Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 16:14:01 -0600
> I have a table-top tripod that's always in the bag.  It was about $25
> but with a standard lens, it will sit steadlily on a table.  There's
> no way I'd recommend a $25 full-sized tripod.

 That's one thing I like about the Slik one over the normal tabletop ones --
the legs will extend enough to let it handle any rough/sloped surface that I
can walk on, and if I don't extend them any more than is necessary for that,
it's pretty solid. Sure, it won't work too well with big heavy very long
lenses, but that's not what I use it for -- I take it hiking because
typically it's pretty gloomy on trails, and so it'll get me the rigidity to
take 1/2 second exposures that I would never get hand-held. (for instance:
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/LakeMinnewanka/Creek.jpg
which, while not bleedingly sharp, is immeasurably better than it would have
been if I'd tried it without the tripod)

 As long as I don't pretend it's a real tripod, I've always been happy with
it -- I've certainly taken an awful lot of photos I wouldn't have taken
otherwise, and in the end that's what counts, I reckon.

 -- dan