Re: [OM] Re: Camera -- to abuse or not ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Camera -- to abuse or not ?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:40:45 +0200
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:17:11 -0700
Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> >Suppose you're on the road... It's raining like hell. Maybe you're
> >on a little island and there's plenty of spray from the sea. Maybe
> >you're in a sand storm in a desert, or in the woods with plenty of
> >crap flying around.
> >
> >Do you take out the camera to take a picture of that oh-so
> >impressive weather?  Knowing that it might work this time and next
> >time, but one day it will break your favourite camera?
>
> You can always repair or replace a camera -- it's only money.
>
> You cannot repair or replace a memory, nor enjoy the photos you
> never took.

I agree completely. Especially if it involves things that change
(kids growing up etc.)

> I've done some rather risky things with my cameras. Perhaps I've
> been lucky, but it has never cost me more than a CLA. But I got
> some great images while other photographers were cowering in their
> cars.

Well, I lost my first OM1 +50/1.8 once...well, actually twice: first,
it fell off when I was rock-climbing "back then". Due to some
especially nice mood of the universe it hit the only patch of soft
grass for kilometers and continued to function just fine. Then, on a
later climb, the strap broke. The universe rectified its previous
error and landed the camera on the only rock below the one I was
climbing. The sound was...well, heartbreaking. Around the rock it hit
was a lake, where the camera bounced into. Damm you sweden!

Fortunately, I did bring a backup....

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering