[OM] Re: Lens "ab"use ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens "ab"use ?
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:16:05 +0100
Hi,

> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:39:27 -0700
> From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [OM] Camera -- to abuse or not ?
>
> Is that abuse, or just use you're describing.  You paint a scenario where
> you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
> I guess if I new the environment I was going to be in could potentially
> be
> harmful to my gear I might consider alternate gear (less costly
> body/lens).
> Otherwise, I think you exercise as much caution and care as you can and
> forge ahead.

Thanks a lot for all your opinions.

It's a problem I've faced several times, and I asked my question to see how
you'd react.  In my case, I bought my 90mm/f2 because I'd seen what it can
give, and I use it because how the picture shows up in my viewfinder.  I find
it a bit of a dilemma, because it cost me a lot of money.  But then, I think it
would be money wasted if I wouldn't use it.  I think I learned more through
using this lens for 2 years, than from doing photography in the 8 years from
'94-97 on my own.  The reason is that the lens is inviting to use.

If it costs me money (aside from terrible heartache) to replace it, I find it's
been worth it, because the lens invited me to look, and that caused me to
improve.

But the main reason to ask this question was to see your reaction, of course.
This mailing list is full of nice people with interesting views, and I expected
reactions between "I want to keep this lens in its nice condition", to "If I
want to keep it clean, I'll sell it", to constructive ways around using lenses
in bad conditions, all the way to "whatever the condition, I'll use it, that's
why I bought it".  I haven't been disappointed !

Peter.