Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] buying a cheap tripod?
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:16:53 -0600
> Same picture, same camera, same film, same development.  I
> was wondering if I would remember if I shot handheld first or tripod
> first, the results were so obvious under the loupe..

 Hm, interesting -- I should do an equivalent test when I get back home and
can get at the heavy tripod again.

 I certainly agree with everyone's advice not to get a cheap full-sized
tripod -- I picked up a used Cullman tripod for $30 or so from a pawn shop
and while it sort of worked, it was flexy as anything, awkward to use, and
really not much use. Comparing that to a Manfrotto/Bogen is like night and
day, it's so nice to use a tripod that obviously isn't going to flex,
wobble, shake, or go anywhere.

> I will probably be hiking in less than ideal conditions, and for a
> long time.  That being the case, as much as I'd love to have a good
> tripod with a very solid ball head, I don't think it's an option..

 Yeah, that's why I use the tiny one I have with the legs expanded as little
as possible and the centre column down -- it's more awkward to use, and
slower to set up, sure, but the end result is pretty solid. This should
apply to any small tripod, of course, I just like mine because a:I'm used to
it, I know its quirks (legs screw to tighten/loosen, so it can take a while
to set up, but I expect that), and b:it's as big as it can get and still fit
in my backpack.

 If I were going for a hike _to take pictures_, I'd think very seriously
about hauling the big tripod along, or getting one of the smaller Manfrottos
(the 190D, say) if I were feeling rich. If you're there to hike, and want to
have the option of taking pictures, then weight and size may be more of a
priority.

 For much more discussion on this stuff, search photo.net for 'slik compact'
and you get a _lot_ of threads about backpacking tripods to look through --
many other recommendations. I suspect you'll have a hard time finding
something small that's rigid, because solidity requires weight (or carbon
fiber = $$$, of course)

 -- dan